Login | Register
My pages Projects Community openCollabNet

Discussions > dev > Re: implicit conversion to a pointer

fsvs
Discussion topic

Hide all messages in topic

All messages in topic

Re: implicit conversion to a pointer

Author pmarek
Full name P.Marek
Date 2010-04-09 03:37:16 PDT
Message >>> Do you have an idea whats wrong or how to resolve this?
>> Well, according to
...
>> the function svn_config_get_user_​config_path() didn't exist in 1.4.
>>
>> You might have to do something yourself ... with getenv("HOME") and/or
> getpwent() and
>> sprintf()/strcat() or something like that.
>
> Great, was missing that point.
>
> What do you think, is this kind of backward compatibility necessary?
> From my point I can live with a patch for package management.
Well, even debian-stable has subversion 1.5. (1.4 is in old-stable, but there's an 1.5
backport as well).

So, from my POV it wouldn't be necessary ... but if you write the code anyway, just put
it in an #ifdef with an autoconf check, and we're done everywhere.

It doesn't hurt if the same package compiles everywhere, without external patches.


Regards,

Phil

--
Versioning your /etc, /home or even your whole installation?
             Try fsvs (fsvs.tigris.org)!

Re: implicit conversion to a pointer

Author tekknokra
Full name Gunnar Thielebein
Date 2010-04-09 02:37:14 PDT
Message Philipp Marek wrote:
> Hello Gunnar!
>
>> I have a small issue, introduced by my changes regarding
>> the external svn call.
>>
>> When building package for an older version of svn (1.4) I did get a
>> message from launchpad's buildsystem:
>>
>>> Finished at 20100408-1711
>>> Build needed 00:00:26, 4120k disk space
>>> Function `svn_config_get_user​_config_path' implicitly converted to pointer at
>>> racallback.c:51
> ...
>>> This is often due to a missing function prototype definition.
> ...
>> This is the part of racallback.c:
> ...
>>> /* get svn's user configuration path */
>> 51> STOPIF_SVNERR( svn_config_get_user_​config_path, (&cfg_usr_path, NULL, NULL,
>> pool ) );
> ...
>> Do you have an idea whats wrong or how to resolve this?
> Well, according to
>
>
http://svn.apache.or​g/viewvc/subversion/​tags/1.4.6/subversio​n/libsvn_subr/config​_file.c?revision=868​664&view=markup
>
> the function svn_config_get_user_​config_path() didn't exist in 1.4.
>
> You might have to do something yourself ... with getenv("HOME") and/or
getpwent() and
> sprintf()/strcat() or something like that.

Great, was missing that point.

What do you think, is this kind of backward compatibility necessary?
From my point I can live with a patch for package management.

Cheers,
Gunnar
>
>
> Regards,
>
> Phil
>

Re: implicit conversion to a pointer

Author pmarek
Full name P.Marek
Date 2010-04-08 23:17:45 PDT
Message Hello Gunnar!

> I have a small issue, introduced by my changes regarding
> the external svn call.
>
> When building package for an older version of svn (1.4) I did get a
> message from launchpad's buildsystem:
>
>> Finished at 20100408-1711
>> Build needed 00:00:26, 4120k disk space
>> Function `svn_config_get_user​_config_path' implicitly converted to pointer at
>> racallback.c:51
...
>> This is often due to a missing function prototype definition.
...
> This is the part of racallback.c:
...
>> /* get svn's user configuration path */
> 51> STOPIF_SVNERR( svn_config_get_user_​config_path, (&cfg_usr_path, NULL, NULL,
> pool ) );
...
> Do you have an idea whats wrong or how to resolve this?
Well, according to

  http://svn.apache.or​g/viewvc/subversion/​tags/1.4.6/subversio​n/libsvn_subr/config​_file.c?revision=868​664&view=markup

the function svn_config_get_user_​config_path() didn't exist in 1.4.

You might have to do something yourself ... with getenv("HOME") and/or getpwent() and
sprintf()/strcat() or something like that.


Regards,

Phil

--
Versioning your /etc, /home or even your whole installation?
             Try fsvs (fsvs.tigris.org)!

implicit conversion to a pointer

Author tekknokra
Full name Gunnar Thielebein
Date 2010-04-08 14:17:23 PDT
Message Hi Phil,

I have a small issue, introduced by my changes regarding
the external svn call.

When building package for an older version of svn (1.4) I did get a
message from launchpad's buildsystem:

> Finished at 20100408-1711
> Build needed 00:00:26, 4120k disk space
> Function `svn_config_get_user​_config_path' implicitly converted to pointer at
> racallback.c:51
>
> Our automated build log filter detected the problem(s) above that will
> likely cause your package to segfault on architectures where the size of
> a pointer is greater than the size of an integer, such as ia64 and amd64.
>
> This is often due to a missing function prototype definition.
>
> Since use of implicitly converted pointers is always fatal to the application
> on ia64, they are errors. Please correct them for your next upload.
>
> More information can be found at:
> http://wiki.debian.o​rg/ImplicitPointerCo​nversions

This is the part of racallback.c:

...
> char *cfg_usr_path;
>
>
> STOPIF( hlp__get_svn_config(​&cfg_hash), NULL);
>
> cfg = apr_hash_get(cfg_hash, SVN_CONFIG_CATEGORY_CONFIG,
> APR_HASH_KEY_STRING);
>
> /* get svn's user configuration path */
51> STOPIF_SVNERR( svn_config_get_user_​config_path, (&cfg_usr_path, NULL, NULL,
pool ) );
>
> /* make sure that folders for storing authentications credentials are created */
> STOPIF_SVNERR( svn_config_ensure, (cfg_usr_path, pool));
>


Do you have an idea whats wrong or how to resolve this?

Cheers,
Gunnar
Messages per page: