Login | Register
My pages Projects Community openCollabNet

Discussions > users > Check-out, revert, and branch/merge strategies?

fsvs
Discussion topic

2020-03-13: This site is going to be decommissioned and shut down very soon. Please copy and archive any data you wish to keep ASAP

Hide all messages in topic

All messages in topic

Re: Check-out, revert, and branch/merge strategies?

Author pmarek
Full name P.Marek
Date 2007-06-26 13:21:07 PDT
Message On Dienstag, 26. Juni 2007 Worley, Chris B wrote:
> I work w/ HPC benchmark clusters using LLNL's YACI:
>
> http://www.llnl.gov/​linux/yaci/yaci.html​
>
> I like very light-weight tools, that I can easily modify; no Rocks or
> Oscar for me. I also don't need a "configuration manager". As I use
> pre-production silicon, there is no "turn-key" solution for me. As a
> benchmark cluster, I have to constantly upgrade critical software
> components, such as compilers and interconnect stacks.
>
> I've modified YACI to allow me to provision multiple images at once...
> so, for example, I can quickly switch nodes from RHEL4U4 to SLES10, w/o
> reprovisioning.
>
> I need a way to manage these images so I can tell what I've changed and
> revert back when there's a problem: FSVS is the solution.
Congratulations, that you've found something that helps you!


Just be sure to ask if there's any problem; please tell me your ideas and
wishes.


Regards,

Phil


--
Versioning your /etc, /home or even your whole installation?
             Try fsvs (fsvs.tigris.org)!

RE: Check-out, revert, and branch/merge strategies?

Author "Worley, Chris B" <chris dot b dot worley at intel dot com>
Full name "Worley, Chris B" <chris dot b dot worley at intel dot com>
Date 2007-06-26 13:19:20 PDT
Message I work w/ HPC benchmark clusters using LLNL's YACI:

http://www.llnl.gov/​linux/yaci/yaci.html​

I like very light-weight tools, that I can easily modify; no Rocks or
Oscar for me. I also don't need a "configuration manager". As I use
pre-production silicon, there is no "turn-key" solution for me. As a
benchmark cluster, I have to constantly upgrade critical software
components, such as compilers and interconnect stacks.

I've modified YACI to allow me to provision multiple images at once...
so, for example, I can quickly switch nodes from RHEL4U4 to SLES10, w/o
reprovisioning.

I need a way to manage these images so I can tell what I've changed and
revert back when there's a problem: FSVS is the solution.

>-----Original Message-----
>From: Philipp Marek [mailto:philipp at marek dot priv dot at]
>Sent: Tuesday, June 26, 2007 2:12 PM
>To: users at fsvs dot tigris dot org
>Cc: Worley, Chris B
>Subject: Re: Check-out, revert, and branch/merge strategies?
>
>On Dienstag, 26. Juni 2007 Worley, Chris B wrote:
>> Thanks!
>>
>> It looks like fsvs was exactly what I needed for my application!
>I know, I'm nosy, but what do you need?
>
>
>Regards,
>
>Phil
>
>
>
>--
>Versioning your /etc, /home or even your whole installation?
> Try fsvs (fsvs.tigris.org)!

Re: Check-out, revert, and branch/merge strategies?

Author pmarek
Full name P.Marek
Date 2007-06-26 13:11:50 PDT
Message On Dienstag, 26. Juni 2007 Worley, Chris B wrote:
> Thanks!
>
> It looks like fsvs was exactly what I needed for my application!
I know, I'm nosy, but what do you need?


Regards,

Phil



--
Versioning your /etc, /home or even your whole installation?
             Try fsvs (fsvs.tigris.org)!

RE: Re: Check-out, revert, and branch/merge strategies?

Author "Worley, Chris B" <chris dot b dot worley at intel dot com>
Full name "Worley, Chris B" <chris dot b dot worley at intel dot com>
Date 2007-06-26 13:04:28 PDT
Message Thanks!

It looks like fsvs was exactly what I needed for my application!

>-----Original Message-----
>From: Philipp Marek [mailto:philipp at marek dot priv dot at]
>Sent: Tuesday, June 26, 2007 1:56 PM
>To: users at fsvs dot tigris dot org
>Cc: Worley, Chris B
>Subject: Re: Check-out, revert, and branch/merge strategies?
>
>On Dienstag, 26. Juni 2007 Worley, Chris B wrote:
>> I don't see an "fsvs co" documented, is "svn co" used?
>No.
>The way is simply
>1) set an URL
> fsvs urls file://// (or whatever)
>2) get the files
> fsvs up
>
>> The "fsvs revert" says it's not recursive, what would be a strategy
for
>> creating a list of all files changed since some revision that you'd
want
>> to revert to?
>You're right, the USAGE file is not updated.
>
>In the sources and the doxygen documentation that was changed for
1.1.14 IIRC;
>there's a "-R" switch for revert.
>
>> Are there any branch/merge capabilities?
>No.
>To do a branch you can simply do "svn cp" as usual, switch the URL with
"fsvs
>urls load", and work on the other url. (Maybe a "fsvs sync-repos" is
needed
>too, I didn't try that yet).
>
>
>Merging would be done via "svn" too -- although for system installation
(that
>means /bin, /sbin etc.) I wouldn't trust an merging algorithm :-)
>
>Whether that would make sense for binary files (/etc), is to be
discussed ...
>it would be possible to call an external merge program on update.
>(For diff FSVS does already a similar thing - gets the needed
revisions, and
>calls some external program.)
>
>
>What you can do is to "overlay" several URLs, so that the highest entry
is
>used; see test/021_multi_url_update, or ask me if it's not really
clear.
>
>
>Regards,
>
>Phil
>
>
>--
>Versioning your /etc, /home or even your whole installation?
> Try fsvs (fsvs.tigris.org)!
>
>----------------​--------------------​--------------------​-------------
>To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@fs​vs.tigris.org
>For additional commands, e-mail: users-help at fsvs dot tigris dot org

Re: Check-out, revert, and branch/merge strategies?

Author pmarek
Full name P.Marek
Date 2007-06-26 12:56:16 PDT
Message On Dienstag, 26. Juni 2007 Worley, Chris B wrote:
> I don't see an "fsvs co" documented, is "svn co" used?
No.
The way is simply
1) set an URL
    fsvs urls file://// (or whatever)
2) get the files
    fsvs up

> The "fsvs revert" says it's not recursive, what would be a strategy for
> creating a list of all files changed since some revision that you'd want
> to revert to?
You're right, the USAGE file is not updated.

In the sources and the doxygen documentation that was changed for 1.1.14 IIRC;
there's a "-R" switch for revert.

> Are there any branch/merge capabilities?
No.
To do a branch you can simply do "svn cp" as usual, switch the URL with "fsvs
urls load", and work on the other url. (Maybe a "fsvs sync-repos" is needed
too, I didn't try that yet).


Merging would be done via "svn" too -- although for system installation (that
means /bin, /sbin etc.) I wouldn't trust an merging algorithm :-)

Whether that would make sense for binary files (/etc), is to be discussed ...
it would be possible to call an external merge program on update.
(For diff FSVS does already a similar thing - gets the needed revisions, and
calls some external program.)


What you can do is to "overlay" several URLs, so that the highest entry is
used; see test/021_multi_url_update, or ask me if it's not really clear.


Regards,

Phil


--
Versioning your /etc, /home or even your whole installation?
             Try fsvs (fsvs.tigris.org)!

Check-out, revert, and branch/merge strategies?

Author "Worley, Chris B" <chris dot b dot worley at intel dot com>
Full name "Worley, Chris B" <chris dot b dot worley at intel dot com>
Date 2007-06-26 10:22:38 PDT
Message I don't see an "fsvs co" documented, is "svn co" used?

The "fsvs revert" says it's not recursive, what would be a strategy for
creating a list of all files changed since some revision that you'd want
to revert to?

Are there any branch/merge capabilities?

Thanks,

Chris
Messages per page: